A Bounty of Health

A Bounty of Health
We're gonna live large this week!

Friday, October 22, 2010

More Lunches….For Adults

I thought I would share one of my own lunch plates, since what I eat is often what gets passed down to my family. Today, I had some comfort food. For me, that’s a thick peanut butter and jelly. It reminds me of my childhood: my mom only gave me peanut butter and jelly (on luscious white bread) and an apple. She says that’s all I ever asked for. The flavors of strawberry jelly with creamy peanut butter bring me comfort, for sure, and my taste buds love it.  Now, however, my sandwich is made with homemade, whole grain bread, almond butter, and a strawberry jelly (from Mrs. Maison) that has only 4 ingredients. If you haven’t tried almond butter yet, do it! It’s pretty yummy, and tastes very nutty, which I suppose is the goal of nut butters.

I paired my sandwich with a few servings of veggies. I was going to opt for carrots, but I had already planned to grate carrots into spaghetti sauce for dinner. Then, I eyed a bag of spinach in the vegetable crisper. I didn’t much feel like chopping other veggies to accompany this. So, I went for the small bowl of mixed veggie soup. I almost always try to have a veggie soup in my fridge for this reason (see previous post). I can add it as a side dish to a meal for a quick veggie. I can add grains and beans to it and make a complete meal. It can be a snack alone. I’ve heard of people that eat veggie soup for breakfast, but I haven’t been able to bring myself to do that yet. It just doesn’t seem right. In the past, I couldn’t even stomach an omelet with veggies in it.



What do you eat for lunch? What have you tried recently that is WFPB? Have you started looking for a healthy alternative to peanut butter and a good jam? What did you find?

No comments:

Post a Comment