A Bounty of Health

A Bounty of Health
We're gonna live large this week!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Smoothie Heaven


Yummo. Jamba Juice. Orange Julius. Healthy Homemade. Which one of these is not like the other! Do you remember the Sesame Street lyrics? 

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
If you guessed this one is not like the others,
Then you're absolutely...right!

(See the video on YouTube!)

I'm taking you waaaaay back now, aren't I?

Smoothies are a great way to get your fill of nutrients and super foods; however, most commercial smoothies are high in sugar and sometimes fat. A real-fruit smoothie can get really pricey, too.

I’ve taken to having a smoothie each morning to get a couple of servings of fruit and veggies in, along with some other goodies. I’m trying desperately to get our girls on board, but they are just not biting…or are they?

This is generally what’s in my smoothie:

Mixed frozen berries
Banana
Almond Butter
2 handfuls of spinach (sometimes kale)

I’m a good mother, so of course I want the girls to experience the same awesomeness of flavors and health, right?

The girls have other ideas, however. Lourdes wants just a banana and almond milk. Nelia wants to use her favorite raspberry yogourt and frozen raspberries. Well, what’s wrong with me? Let 'em have at it! I’ve forgotten the baby steps motto. My protégées are voicing their desires and willing to try it, but I’m already miles ahead wanting them to seriously consider putting raw spinach into a drink. Hello! Let me take a moment to get back up on that proverbial horse.

I didn't know this blog would give me the opportunity to scold myself, er, rather realize the potential that can come from this. I'm always learning and failing and trying again, too. We’ll probably have smoothie snacks when they get home from school - THEIR WAY.

If you’re a parent trying to change your child’s diet, let him start with what he likes If you’re an adult and you’re trying to change your own eating as well, don’t despise small beginnings. When you get brave, add some spinach, or compromise and add one leaf at a time. You won’t even know it’s there; I promise.

Another thing for parents to consider is age appropriateness. I find that Lourdes is much more rational, probably because she’s almost 11 and is on the cusp of the cognitive thinking stage. I can usually talk to her about the facts and she’s able to make a good decision. Nelia, who’s 8, on the other hand, is still a card carrying member of the “I don’t have to if I don’t want to” club. ‘Nuff said! Introducing new things and being content with what she will eat, for now, is progress. Consider your child’s stage of development and their personality, and go easy on yourself. Consider your own development, too! Baby steps. We'll all get “there” soon enough.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment